Thursday, May 14, 2009

Letter from Desiree

Desiree and Rose

Moni Kwaonse!
Greetings to all!!

You may remember me from newsletters in previous years, first as an Intern and then as the Executive Assistant. Although I moved to England in summer 2007 to pursue a Masters in Development Management at the London School of Economics, my dedication to Bola Moyo has grown even stronger in the years since I left the Portland office. Now I serve as Secretary on Bola Moyo's Board of Directors, a role I have filled since Fall 2008. I've had the wonderful opportunity to take three trips to Malawi in the past year and a half.

I first visited Bola Moyo in Malawi in late 2007 during a break from the internship I had at that point in Kenya. Then I had the privilege to spend summer 2008 in Balaka working with Bola Moyo's staff to strengthen our Adult Education programming. Most recently, in March and April I had a five-week break from my graduate program in London, and I took the opportunity to spend a month in Balaka assessing all of our programs.

I'll admit that I was a bit nervous, since it was my first time without Dustin and Cara also there to hold my hand the whole way. But I'm happy to report that the trip turned out to be a rousing success. I had a wonderful time bonding with our Malawian program staff and participants. The youth centre and the adult education program are not only doing well, but are vibrant, alive, and kicking! More than ever before I am inspired by the dedication of our Malawian staff and participants, who have made our work in Balaka a continuous success.

Now I am back in London where I am busily writing my thesis on primary education in Malawi, but I'm already looking forward to the day that I can once again return to Balaka!

Lero Labwino
Have a great day!
Desiree Cooper

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home